Travel Policy

Policy Overview Travel Subsistance Allowance/Per Diem Rates
Travel Plans and Approvals Exteded Trips
Travel Expense Reimbursement Registration Fees
Travel at Vendor Expense Non-Travel Related Business Meals and Entertainment
Travelers Coming to BYUH on University Business Hosting and Entertainment
Travel Companions Lodging
On Island Travel/Lodging Personal Vacation While in Travel Status
Airport Mileage Reimbursement Corporate Charge Cards
Commercial Airt Travel Travel Advances
Checked Baggage Non-allowable Travel Expenses
Travel Insurance Student Travel
Carter/Buses/Rental Cars/Taxis  


The University provides travel management, planning, booking, expense management and other related services through Travel Services.  Personnel traveling on University business are required to book travel reservations through this department.  Any use of outside travel vendors, online travel websites for airline fares, tours, ground packages and other specialty travel must also be coordinated through Travel Services.  Purchases, payments, or commitments made in any way other than outlined in this policy will be the personal responsibility of the individual. Travel Procedures

The University reimburses faculty, staff, authorized students, and university guests for legitimate, reasonable, and necessary expenses incurred while conducting approved University business in accordance with University policy.  Authorization for future travel will not be granted and expenses will not be reimbursed unless the travel is made and reimbursement is claimed according to University policy and procedures.  Under no circumstances shall expenses for personal travel be charged to, or be temporarily funded by the University unless prior approval is given.


The University uses PeopleSoft Expense for filing a pre-trip approval document called a Travel Authorization and a post-trip reimbursement document called an Expense Report. For instructions, training or questions about these documents contact Travel Services at 5-3393.

The University designates a dean, department chair, associate/assistant vice president or director as the responsible party to approve, monitor, and provide accountability for travel activities in their respective areas. The on-line approval process of the responsible party indicates approval in advance of any planned travel, availability of sufficient funds to cover projected travel expenses, and compliance with the current University Travel Policy.

The traveler must have an approved Travel Authorization before purchasing air tickets. Any exceptions must be approved by the Travel Office.

All personnel traveling on University business must file a Travel Authorization for each trip that requires them to be away from home overnight and/or requires them to use any form of commercial transportation. The travel authorization should be filed at least 10 days prior to travel whenever possible. A department designated approver must approve the Travel Authorization before the trip departure.

Normally, travel authorization is on an individual basis. However, students or other personnel may receive authorization to participate in group travel for a single activity with University personnel acting as advisor/coordinator. Examples are music/drama groups, student performing groups or classes attending mandatory field trips. For group travel approval, the advisor/coordinator should submit a Travel Authorization describing the nature of the activity and list the name of each group participant as a note on the Travel Authorization.  Using a special ID created by Travel Services and the name one of the participant. Exceptions may apply.


All personnel and groups traveling on University-approved business must submit an Expense Report within fifteen (15) business days after returning from a trip. The traveler is to report actual expenditures and make an accounting of all financial activities for the trip. All trip expenses incurred must have an express business purpose. A department designated approver is required to review and approve expense reports before any payment can be made.

Travelers must submit other than meals per diem expenses, original itemized receipts for each expense exceeding $25.00 claimed on the Expense Report. Individual expense claims of less than $25.00 do not require receipts. All required receipts must show date, to whom paid, the amount and purpose of payment. Corporate charge card slips are not acceptable since they do not contain the detail required to make an effective reconciliation. All receipts should be sent to Travel Services containing the expense report document number.

If original receipts are lost, a traveler must make a reasonable effort to obtain duplicates. If such efforts fail to produce duplicate receipts, the traveler must fill out a Lost/Missing Receipt Form from the Travel Services. Travel Services will evaluate the form for policy compliance and notify the traveler of its acceptance.  The Lost/Missing Receipt Form is not applicable for Car Rental and Hotel receipts.

Non-university persons accompanying University personnel will not receive reimbursement for travel expenses unless the appropriate vice president authorizes the travel in advance and an express business purpose is identified on the original travel application.

Travelers filing reimbursement requests involving accounting for a University cash travel advance are responsible for the application of governing tax laws (see TRAVEL ADVANCES for detail). 

Personnel functioning as advisors/coordinators for group travel and having responsibilities for booking airfare, lodging and other expenses should charge expenses on a corporate charge card. Upon returning from a group excursion, the advisor/coordinator must import all travel card transaction into an Expense Report within 15 calendar days. Receipts and complete documentation for all charges claimed must be submitted to Travel Services. If meal money has been advanced to the trip advisor/coordinator and distributed to group participants, a list of amounts distributed and signature of the recipient must also be submitted to Financial Services with the receipt packet and the total amount entered under the Group Per Diem category in the Expense Report. 


Personnel may not accept complimentary travel, hotel or food expenses paid by a vendor where the purpose of the vendor is to sell or promote a product or service. Proposed travel of this nature must be disclosed to and an exception obtained by the vice-president that oversees the department. This does not apply to training trips regarding equipment or services that the University has or will make payment as part of the purchase price.


Vendors and non-university personnel being brought to the University for business purposes must use Travel Services to do their airline booking, hotel and car rental if all expenses are being paid by the university.  Outside personnel are also subject to the BYU-Hawaii per diem rates for Hawaii.


Family, spouse or other persons may accompany personnel traveling on university business. If employees are traveling for professional development, pre-tour trips, or other work-related travel, university funds cannot be used to cover spouse or dependent travel expenses.  Spouses who travel with the employee on a University-approved tour, who act as a chaperone, may accompany employee when appropriate and must be approved by the Vice President in advance of the trip. University funds may be approved to cover the cost of spouses who act as chaperones when approved by the Vice President. However, if such persons are to travel at University expense, advance authorization must be obtained and the express business purpose of the companion’s travel must be documented.

Unrelated university colleagues of the opposite sex should exercise sensitivity and good judgment when traveling together on university business so as not to compromise the integrity of appropriate personnel relationships or to reflect poorly on the university or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 


University personnel attending an extended conference in the Honolulu area must submit a Travel Authorization if travel related expenses (Per Diem, lodging etc.) will be incurred.  

Lodging at hotels in the Honolulu area is discouraged due to the distance and travel time to and from Laie.  If there is a reasonable request by the attendee to stay at the conference hotel, a written approval by the dean/director must accompany the Travel Authorization. 

Where possible, employees should use university vehicles to travel on university business.  If employees choose to use private vehicles for on island travel, they may receive reimbursement at the current rate of $0.575 per mile. Additionally, when a private vehicle is used, the insurance for the private vehicle would have primary responsibility for financial loss should an accident occur.

The university does not assume liability or responsibility for parking tickets, moving violation citations, repairs, deductibles, or other uninsured loss to the vehicle or its occupants.

Meals are not reimbursable if the attendee is not staying overnight.  


Travelers using personal vehicles to travel to and from the airport may request mileage reimbursement for two round trips ($0.575 per mile).  Roundtrip from Laie to Honolulu Airport is 70 miles ($40.25).  Roundtrip from Hauula is 64 miles, Kahuku is 76 miles.

Under special circumstances, airport shuttles, rental cars and long-term parking at the airport are allowed.  Long term parking at the airport should not exceed $150 including mileage for one round trip.  Receipts are required with your travel expenses.

Vendors and non-university personnel coming for university business will not be reimbursed for mileage to and from the airport and long-term parking.  Exceptions must have prior approval by the President Council.


Travelers are responsible to book air travel at the most economical rates using normally traveled routes. University-paid first class air travel is not an allowable expense. Air carrier selection cannot be biased by any frequent flyer affiliation or benefits. In the event that a traveler chooses a higher fare than the lowest applicable fare, assuming the scheduling and convenience factors to be equal, approval must be obtained from the responsible dean or associate/ assistant vice president to purchase the fare.

Frequent flyer miles earned on travel funded by the university are maintained and redeemed by university employees.  However, the university will not reimburse personnel for the business use of their accumulated frequent flyer miles.  Any frequent flyer miles earned while traveling on University business may not be exchanged for cash. Likewise, the University cannot reimburse personnel for their use.

Travelers, who experience changes in trip plans, missed flights, or other difficulties during a trip, making the purchase of an additional airline ticket necessary, may charge it to their University-issued corporate charge card. The traveler must return all applicable receipts to Travel Services when requesting reimbursement. Travelers must return any unused airline tickets to the Travel Services office as soon as possible. Upon processing of the ticket refund, if possible, the respective campus department will receive credit for the refund. If the ticket is non-refundable, the ticket will be returned to the campus department for use on a future trip. All such tickets remain the property of the University and must be used for business travel. Tickets being held for exchange on a later trip may not be used for personal travel.


A traveler may take one check-in and one carry-on luggage on their business trip. Any additional check-in luggage must be paid personally by the traveler. If a traveler is asking for reimbursement for an extra luggage or overweight fee, a written approval by his/her supervisor must accompany the traveler’s expense.


All personnel traveling on University business (including students) have coverage under the University's blanket travel insurance policy. Personnel may purchase DMBA's Occupational Accidental Death and Dismemberment and/or 24-hour accident insurance. Personnel choosing to purchase additional travel insurance other than what is currently provided must do so at their own personal expense.


Bus Charters

Anyone chartering a bus for group travel should verify the company is licensed by the state(s) in which they operate and is in good standing. The recommended minimum amount of liability insurance is $5,000,000. An "Insurance Certificate" stating the above and naming Brigham Young University Hawaii as an "additional insured" in connection with the chartered trip should be requested from the bus company, and forwarded to the Human Resource office for approval and filing. Personnel should contact the Human Resource office with questions.

Rental Cars

The University allows the cost of a rented automobile when suitable or less expensive local transportation is unavailable or when routing and time factors make it more advantageous than taxi or other ground transportation. Travelers should only use a rental vehicle when it is not possible or practical to use a University vehicle. Rental vehicles should not be used if less expensive transportation is available.  The university reimburses the cost of a mid-size rented automobile.  In exceptional cases, the university will reimburse for the use of larger vehicles (several travelers in one vehicle, equipment transported, etc.).

The traveler will not receive reimbursement for extra expenses, such as meals and lodging in transit, the cost of a larger vehicle to transport family members or other non-business related guests, or other expenses incurred for personal benefit when commercial airline transportation is less expensive.

University personnel should charge all car reservations to their University-issued corporate travel charge card. In addition, all rental car reservations should be made through the University Travel Services office which is equipped to make direct computer reservations with travel vendors.

Travelers should refuel the rental car before returning it to avoid the high cost of gasoline at the rental agency.

Personnel should decline all Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) coverage when traveling domestically on University business. Domestic travelers will not receive reimbursement for additional insurance coverage purchased.



Taxi and other types of livery or conveyance are reimbursable for official business-related travel as follows:

  • Transportation at destination terminal to place of lodging and return trip.
  • Transportation between business appointments or hotels and places of temporary duty.
  • Transportation for blind or physically disabled persons, providing the fare is within reasonable limits.

Following the above guidelines, reasonable charges for taxi and airline or hotel limousine service are reimbursable when other modes of travel are not available or practical. To avoid unnecessary taxi expenses, personnel should utilize regularly scheduled airport, bus or limousine service between terminal facilities and hotels, if available. Many hotels offer complimentary hotel shuttle services.

Taxi charges are reimbursable specifically for travel related approved University business. Taxis between hotel and airport are allowable; however, taxis from a hotel to a restaurant for sightseeing trips are not allowable.


Personnel in approved travel status and same-day travelers away from home for at least twelve hours are entitled to a meal per diem allowance.  Same day travel exceeding twelve hours will be reimbursed using actual receipts. Subsistence allowance includes both meals and incidental expenses that is an all-inclusive allowance and is governed by current tax laws.

There is no allowance for additional charges for other meals, fees or tips to waiters, porter, baggage or bell persons, television and in-room movies, or transportation between places of lodging and dining.

A subsistence allowance amount covers meals and other expenses incurred while traveling away from home OVERNIGHT. By dividing the day into three meal periods, the computation is as follows:

6:01 a.m. to 12:00 noon


12:01 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.


6:01 p.m. to 12:00 midnight


(NOTE: The period of time from 12:01 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. may be used to extend either the breakfast or dinner meal period as needed.)

The above times apply to the time zone the actual travel occurs in.

Destination cities are assigned a certain per diem level. The levels assigned to each city/county and the breakdown of levels as they relate to each meal period are listed on the current per diem table.

No receipts are needed for meals when using either the corporate travel card or your personal credit card.


Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Level 6


 $ 7.00

 $ 8.00

 $ 9.00

























The breakdown of levels as they relate to specific cities/counties/ are listed on the per diem table.

Per diem localities with county definitions shall include "all locations within or entirely surrounded by, the corporate limits of the key city as well 
as the boundaries of the listed counties, including independent entities located within the boundaries of the key city and the listed counties."


The per diem rate for FOREIGN SUBSISTENCE is the highest per diem level per 24-hour day or the actual meal costs with receipts while in approved foreign travel status.


Full-time personnel traveling for extended periods of time (at least 30 days but not more than one year) may either travel under the regular travel policy or receive approval from the appropriate vice president for per diem only reimbursement to cover all expenses of the trip. The negotiated per diem rate may not exceed the maximum federal per diem rate for meals and lodging for the specific approved travel destination(s), as published by the IRS and State Department. The Travel Services office will assist in planning extended trips and in determining appropriate per diem allowances within the published federal rates. Personnel traveling on meal and lodging per diem allowances are not required to itemize expenses or to provide supporting receipts, but rather will receive a straight per diem to cover all expenses. However, travelers must confirm to the Travel Services office the times, places and business purposes of the trip every 90 days or at the conclusion of the trip, whichever is less.


Registration fees for meetings and conferences are reimbursable. The traveler should use the University-issued Visa card whenever possible. Where University corporate cards are not accepted, the traveler may use a department purchasing card. When using this type of payment, the traveler should not request reimbursement in addition to the direct payment. 


It may be appropriate to include meals or other expenses in the regular conduct of day-to-day business which furthers the interest of the University and has an express business purpose. Each department chair or administrative manager authorized to approve such activities should carefully consider the appropriateness of food and other related purchases.

Department chairs/Directors approving non-travel related business meals and other expenses are responsible to provide complete receipts and documentation as described above. Complete documentation includes names of all personnel and non-employees with business relationship to the meal. Travel Services will refuse reimbursement and charge back expenditures to the participants for undocumented or questionable meal purchases.


Occasionally, it may become necessary to host other individuals' meals while traveling. Entertainment, however represented, is not an allowable charge without specific, prior approval at the vice president level. Costs for approved hosting activities are reimbursable only under the following conditions and with documentation of the specific business purpose (see Non-travel Related Business Meals and Entertainment section for documentation requirements):

  • Individuals hosted should not be other University personnel also in approved travel status.
  • The hosting employee must submit the Expense Report request stating the business purpose of the meal and the names of non-University persons hosted. The employee must submit complete, actual receipts for themeal to receive reimbursement
  • When hosting, the traveler must adhere to the current Per Diem rate of the city or state he/she is hosting in.


Travelers should use standard accommodations in reasonably priced, commercial-class hotels/motels. The traveler should use the University corporate travel charge card to pay for lodging and to guarantee room reservations whenever possible. 

Travelers should book hotel reservations through Travel Services whenever possible. This practice insures the lowest possible cost, inclusion of all available discounts, and contract hotel availability. Reimbursement is made on the actual base rate plus taxes and approved amenities. The traveler must present the original hotel/motel paid receipt (credit card receipt is not acceptable) with their Expense report.

If two employees share the cost of a double room, one employee should seek reimbursement for the entire bill and the second employee not make a hotel reimbursement request. In either case, the corresponding name and Travel Approval number must be cross-referenced on each travel reimbursement request to verify the names of the persons sharing the expense.

Travelers do not receive reimbursement for lodging costs when they stay with friends or relatives. However, when traveling away from home overnight, a $30.00 amount is allowed for each seven-days of housing or portions thereof provided by family or friends. Travelers may use this allowance along with the regular meal subsistence allowance, if applicable, to provide a gratuity to the host.

In-room movies, mini-bar charges, concierge services and other in-room services are not reimbursable beyond the approved subsistence allowance. Travelers should not charge long distance telephone calls on the hotel bill, if avoidable, since exorbitant hotel surcharges are not reimbursable.

Telephone calls made from an airplane or other unreasonably priced areas are not reimbursable except under extreme emergencies.

Laundry charges are not normally reimbursable beyond the approved subsistence allowance. If, however, normal business trips extend beyond seven days, one laundry expense per seven-day period will be reimbursable.


A traveler must indicate any personal vacation time and expense on the Expense Report when claiming allowable business travel expenses where business and personal vacation time are combined within the same trip period. The subsistence allowance and other University financial support for travel-related expenses ceases during personal vacation periods. In addition, travel, lodging, or meal expenses for spouses or other dependents are not reimbursable.

When combining personal vacation with business and traveling through use of a University vehicle or motor pool vehicle, all vacation mileage and any expense associated with using a larger vehicle than would normally be required for the purpose of transporting family members should be logged and reimbursed to the University upon conclusion of the trip. In general, any personal expenses associated with vacation and family travel should be paid from personal funds.

Vacation time taken in conjunction with an official business trip should, when applicable be reported as such, upon conclusion of the trip.


The University provides, upon approved application and at no charge, a corporate travel card to qualifying full-time faculty and staff for the purpose of charging legitimate travel expenses to the University.  Personal charges should not be made on University corporate travel cards.  At the conclusion of a trip, all card charges must be reported and reconciled within 15 business days.

Whenever possible, personnel should charge lodging, car rentals, meals, registration, and other University approved business travel expenses to their corporate charge card.

The Corporate travel card must be used for travel related group expenses. (Examples are music/drama groups, student performing groups or classes attending mandatory field trips.)

Travel Services will contact travelers on overdue expense reports. If an employee still does not account for corporate card transactions in their Expense Report within 60 days of the transaction date, the University may suspend charge privileges until the employee clears the account. If an employee does not account for corporate card transactions within 90 days of the transaction date Travel Services will suspend their travel privileges and cancel their travel card. Personnel who have canceled cards due to intentional nonpayment may not rejoin the program unless there is an approval by his/her vice-president.


The University functions under the Internal Revenue Services "Accountable Cash Advance Plan" for classification purposes. As a result of that classification, personnel requesting cash advances must comply with the following restrictions:

· The advance must be obtained and used for business expenses only by a University employee in connection with services performed as an employee.

· An employee must substantiate all cash advance expense within 30 days of issuance.

· Employees must base the advance on a reasonable estimate of anticipated expenses. They must draw the advance within a reasonable period before incurring the expenses.

· Personnel must account for all expenses, submit complete receipts and return any unspent portion of any advance within 30 days of the original date issued.

Cash advances will not be issued on domestic trips unless approved by the line vice-president.

Students or non-University personnel may not receive travel advances. If a student or non-University person requires an advance, a responsible employee must personally request the advance in his/her name and assume full responsibility for the business purpose, accounting and complete documentation for the advance.

An employee must document expenses related to the advance and return any unused portion of the advance within 15 business days of returning or within 60 calendar days of issuance of the advance (whichever is earlier).Travelers who were more than 60 days delinquent in processing their travel expenses must have approval from their line vice-president before they can travel again. Travelers who do not account for earlier travel advances will not receive an additional advance. Travelers engaging in back-to-back trips should reconcile all outstanding advance activity before leaving on a later trip


Some expenses are the personal responsibility of the employee and are not reimbursable. The following list is not all inclusive, but show examples of such non-reimbursable expenses.

  • Personal and family expenses
  • Gifts and souvenirs
  • Valet and room service charges
  • Personal medical and dental expenses
  • Personal reading material, recreation, and entertainmen
  • Travel insurance in excess of that already provided
  • Costs incurred by traveler's failure to cancel transportation or hotel reservations
  • Commuting between home and work
  • Corporate charge card delinquency or late charge assessments (there may be an exception if the delinquency assessment is not due to the actions of the traveler)
  • Haircuts, newspapers, babysitting, shoe shines
  • Parking and traffic citations
  • Reimbursement or payment for frequent flyer benefits and reduced or free flight coupons issued by the airlines


The University recognizes student travel activities may provide outstanding learning experiences. To promote such safe and quality educational learning experiences, all University-approved student travelmust follow the procedures outlined in this Travel Procedures. ("Approved" and "authorized" are intended to be interchangeable terms in this policy.) In addition, the conduct and dress of all participants must be in accordance with the Honor Code and Dress and Grooming Standards.


Extended Travel is authorized travel initiated and completed during two or more calendar days. Vehicle travel requires the supervision and accompaniment of full-time faculty or staff. Students and personnel traveling on University-approved activities must file a Travel Authorization form.


Certain student travel may involve student participation in activities for the benefit of the University sufficient for the University to pay the expenses. This type of student travel may include, but is not limited to students traveling to present papers or making formal performances or presentations on behalf of the University. With proper application and approval, this type of trip may be payable from University funding.

The University Travel Policy will govern student travel activities in all areas except meals. Special meal needs of performing groups where the physical demands expected of the student participants require additional nourishment may be addressed. In these instances, individual college Deans/Directors may choose from the following meal provision options:

OPTION 1 -- Student participants engaged in BYUH sponsored and approved student activities may be entitled to a meal allowance at the discretion of the Dean/Director and according to availability of budgeted funds. University personnel advisors may distribute to students from personal travel advance funds an appropriate amount of meal money not to exceed the established subsistence allowance. Group advisors must submit a list of students receiving meal money through Financial Services prior to leaving on their trip. Receipts are not required; however, group advisors must submit a list of students receiving meal money, the amount of money received by each student and the signature of the student receiving the money.

OPTION 2 -- Group advisors may choose to have the entire group eat together for all meals and account for the meal expense as a group expense. University advisors are to use a University Travel Card for the group’s expenses and retain receipts.  Deans and Directors should exercise caution and good judgment when authorizing this meal option as meal expenditures should not be extravagant. Meal expenditures determined to be unreasonable by the appropriate vice president will not be reimbursed.